MANAGING THE DIGITAL ENTERPRISE
CASE STUDY: AMERICA ONLINE (AOL)
About America Online
America Online (AOL) is a global Web services company that operates some of the most popular Web destinations, offers a comprehensive suite of free software and services runs one of the largest Internet access businesses in the U.S., and provides a full set of advertising solutions. A majority-owned subsidiary of Time Warner Inc. AOL LLC and its subsidiaries have operations in the U.S., Europe, Canada and Asia. [Source: AOL, March 2008]
Things to read:
Questions to consider:
- What factors help explain AOL's ascendency to the largest online subscription service, and it's subsequent decline?
- What is the strategy behind AOL's merger with Time Warner? Why did it fail?
- What problems are at the core of AOL's recent troubles? How can the company turn around and set itself on a path to success?
Latest news from Google
In the news:
AOL Expands Online Ticket Business
Jim Zarroli | 08.26.2005
Selected trademark registrations:
- AMERICA ONLINE ®
- AOL.COM ®
- YOU'VE GOT MAIL ®
- YOU HAVE MAIL ®
- AIM ®
- BUDDY LIST ®
- Search real-time for U.S. trademarks.
- 6,393,469 -- Method and apparatus for publishing hypermedia documents.
- 6,385,656 -- Selective recompression of files in a network system.
- 6,381,599 -- Seamless integration of internet resources.
- 6,339,784 -- Self-policing, rate limiting online forums.
- 6,012,051 -- Consumer profiling system with analytic decision processor.
- 6,009,413 -- System for real time shopping.
- Search real-time for recent U.S. patents granted to AOL.